Thursday, November 7, 2013



“Never be afraid to raise your voice for honesty and truth and compassion against injustice and lying and greed. If people all over the world...would do this, it would change the earth.”
William Faulkner
What inspires and excites you most about your advocacy plan and being an advocate?
            One of the things that inspires’ me the most is thinking about the outcome. I believe that each time one makes a decision one thinks that everything will be perfect. Yes, of course, one considers some down falls or bumps somewhere down the line; of course, one might not consider things to be as bad as they get, but when a choice or decision is made one imagines that everything will be perfect, even if that might be far from the truth.
            With this said, this is what keeps me motivated and planning, hoping that the outcome will be far beyond perfect and that all of the hard work will pay off because I will have made a difference in the life of the children and most of all the parents. I want and desire the parents to learn as much as possible in order for them to be involve in the daily learning and reading of their children now, then, and in the future.
What challenges and/or anxieties do you feel related to engaging in the advocacy efforts you have targeted?
            One challenge is the parents themselves. I could only pray to have parents that really want and care for their children to learn. Many parents could go just to go not because they are interested in the things that we might be doing or teaching. I hope to have and find a way to reach all of these people. Another challenge might be getting the permission of the school districts; I would need the permission to come into their schools and even giving me a space to carry out my advocacy plan.
What do you believe will be most effective in helping you overcome any challenging emotions you may be feeling with regard to presenting and implementing your Advocacy Action Plan?
            I think that the most effective for any kind of emotion is the success that it will have. If I was/am able to successfully help one person, then that means that I am/will be doing something worthwhile. I know that when I see that something that I did got positive feedback, I embrace it and it makes me feel happy and good all over, and every time that I remember that particular event, I smile and it makes me happy all over again.
How can you encourage others in their advocacy efforts, and how can others encourage you?
            The biggest help is supporting them and the cause. It could be either physically, mentally, emotionally, economically, and so on. Another big help is not being in the way; if you do not approve of it or do not believe in it, then do not get in the way of it, do not judge it or criticize it.  Encourage by helping make things better, by spreading the word, and most of all by making your presence known by your actions and efforts. I feel that this is the best way to encourage anyone, even myself.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Elida
    Constructive criticism is a well-meant review intended to help you improve. Effective criticism can also be liberating. It can fight ideas that keep people down with ideas that unlock new opportunities, while consciously avoiding personal attacks and blaming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most of us do think things will turn out for the best when we make desions but if effort isn't made to help things move positively, all our hopes and no works is for nothing..."Faith without works..." There will always be challenging parents, but if you get their support your work has been worth it. I think as advocates and teachers, the most effective way to deal with our emotional challenges is to believe in ourselves and what we KNOW to be true about children. Elida, I support you in your advocacy efforts and believe that you will indeed make a difference because there are parents who need to be educated on how to effectively teach their children. Good Luck

    ReplyDelete